Almond Thumbprint Cookies filled with Jam are so versatile. With a delicious base, you can add any type of jam to vary the flavors. These cookies were once my mom's Almond Christmas Crescents which I made for years. Now I make them into round thumbprint cookies - less work and less time!
- 1 cup (2 sticks, room temperature) butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups of chopped almonds (you could use pecans or walnuts or any combo)
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 5 Tablespoons of your favorite jam like Mixed Red Berry Jam Click to order online from our shop
- Measure out ingredients, including sifting the flour, and chopping the almonds if not chopped already
- Preheat oven for 350F
- Cream the butter, add sugar, and salt, in a large bowl, until fluffy
- Add vanilla and nuts, and blend flour slowly into mix
- Roll into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and push center down with thumb
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Set timer for 10 minutes, open oven and carefully use the back of a teaspoon measuring spoon to push the hole down again. Then continue baking for another 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon Mixed Red Berry Jam into the center of each cookie as soon as you take them out of the oven.
- Heat jam for 10 seconds in the microwave to loosen it up, and stir before dropping on cookies
- Variations: Use your favorite flavored jam; or when fully cooled, roll in powdered sugar
- Time Saver: Preheat the oven after the batter is mixed, before forming the cookies; Prepare 2 sheets at a time (4 total) so 2 are baking while two are being prepared.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: almond crescents, almond cookies, christmas cookies, holiday cookies, thumbprints