Crispy-skin Snapper with Caper Salsa is a healthy fish recipe which is easy to make. The caper salsa is made with fresh parsley, chili paste, cilantro, olive oil and lemon juice.
- 3 5-6oz. skin-on snapper fillets
- 1 small garlic clove, grated and mashed
- 1 cup chopped herbs (such as parsley & cilantro)
- 2 TableSpoons chopped capers from Flora Fine Foods
- 2 TableSpoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 7 TableSpoons (or more) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaSpoon chili paste (sambal oelek)
- Kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper
For the Caper Salsa:
- Grate the garlic with a microplane
- Chop the parsley & cilantro and rough chop the capers
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped herbs, capers, lemon juice, and 6 TableSpoons extra virgin olive oil. If needed, season the herby sauce with ½ teaSpoon of kosher salt and pepper.
For the Crispy-skinned Snapper:
- Rinse, and pat dry the fish: Line a plate with a paper towel and put the fish skin side down. Take more paper towel and dry the other side. Repeat this step on the skin side.
- Place the fish on a dry clean plate and sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Be generous with the salt, but don’t overdo it.
- In a COLD nonstick skillet, brush on a TableSpoon of olive oil to coat the surface of the pan. Place the snapper skin side down and turn the stove on medium heat. The skillet will heat up gradually and the fat will start to cook out of the fish.
- When the fat starts to cook, take a flexible spatula and press the fish against the pan for a few seconds. This step is very important because it will help cook the whole skin completely. This first side takes around 4-5 minutes. If your fish is thick, you may want to cook for 6 or 7 minutes. The key here is to make sure the skin is crispy, and the flesh is mostly opaque.
- Flip the fish over to the other side and cook for about a minute or two.
- To plate the snapper, spoon the caper salsa onto the plate and place the fish skin side up on top of the salsa.
Vitamin A 7%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 5%, Iron 9%, Vitamin B12 12%, Vitamin E 1%, Vitamin K 413%
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 375
- Sodium: 398.7 mg
- Fat: 35.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 31.2 mg