This recipe for Grilled Chicken Satay Skewers is a variation of the traditional recipe from Indonesian and Malaysia. The authentic recipe has coconut milk, but for this one we did not include the coconut milk, and made some interesting changes.
Marinated overnight in peanut butter, lemongrass paste, soy sauce, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and other spices, this recipe for Grilled Chicken Satay Skewers is super easy to make and fun to eat. If you have a nut allergy, or just looking for an alternative, you can use Creamy 5 Seed Butter instead of peanut butter.
I have to be honest with you. I'm not a huge fan of chicken satay, and I think it shows in the lack of inspiration in the photos. I have been dragging my feet in posting this recipe since last year, but Geoffrey kept pushing me to publish because he loves it. Maybe he knows something I don’t know? I will work on this recipe again and promise to take more fabulous photos.
Besides being a popular appetizer dish at many restaurants, Chicken Satay is also a fun meal to eat at home. The idea of holding the meal in your hand on a skewer has some visceral appeal. If you throw a party, it gives your guests a way to eat without getting their fingers dirty. If you have children, and a husband, they will all love dipping the chicken and eating it off the stick. One note to remember when you grill the chicken... if you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water well before sticking them into the meat and grilling, otherwise they will burn. Serve as an appetizer or a fun dinner with spicy peanut sauce for dipping.
Thanks for your continual encouragement,
UPDATE: This recipe is part of the 11 Best & Favorite Summertime Grilling RecipesPrint
Chicken Satay is a traditional dish from Indonesian and Malaysian. The chicken has been marinated overnight in spice and peanut sauce, then skewered and grilled for a fast and easy weeknight dinner. When preparing, keep some of the marinade on reserve and use as a dipping sauce.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes for skewers
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons, plus 1-2 teaspoons, separated of LIÁ Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil Click to buy in our online shop
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup peanut butter, or 5 Seed Butter Click to buy in our online shop
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon lemongrass paste
- Place the chicken in a large shallow bowl or baking dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.Note: Don't put all of the marinade in the bowl. Reserve some to be used as a dipping sauce. If you don't have enough, make an extra batch.
- Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning a few times.
- Prepare a fire in a grill or preheat the broiler. I used the Hamilton Beach Indoor grill.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers.
- Grill or broil the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Serve hot.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: Asian
Available here today in our online shop:
Available via these Amazon links:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy