Chicken Scarpariello is a classic, Italian-American, one-pot dinner recipe of Italian sausages and chicken thighs braised together with bell peppers, Greek green peppers, sweet onions, red wine vinegar, wine, chicken stock, spices, and aromatics, all which make this a dish that can only be described as the taste of home.
Chicken & Sausage:
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaSpoon Sea Salt available in our online shop
- 1/2 teaSpoon ground black pepper
- 2 TableSpoons LIA Extra Virgin Olive Oil available in our online shop
- 3 Italian hot sausages (.75 lbs)
- 3 Italian mild sausages (.75 lbs)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and Julienne cut
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and Julienne cut
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and Julienne cut
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded, and Julienne cut
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 teaSpoon minced garlic
- 4 to 8 Hellenic Farms Greek Green Peppers, left whole, available in our online shop
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Brown: Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Brown the chicken thighs five minutes per side, starting with skin side down. Remove the chicken thighs to a plate. Add the sausages and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes total. Make sure you brown all sides. They will not be cooked all the way. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Sauté: Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the pot and sauté the bell peppers, jalapeños, onion, and garlic until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Braise: Add the Greek Green Peppers, chicken broth, wine, vinegar, and oregano. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Bring to a quick boil over high heat. Nestle sausage and chicken in the pot. Braise covered over low heat. It will take about 30 minutes. See notes about chicken temperature.
To confirm if the chicken is done, insert an instant thermometer to the thickest part of the chicken thighs and make sure registers 165 degrees.
We partner (affiliate links) with Drizly delivery service, so if you don’t have the dry white wine, you can have it delivered.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Italian-American
Keywords: Italian-American recipe, Italian recipe, Braised Chicken with Sausage & Peppers, Italian sausages, chicken thighs recipe, sausage recipe, dinner recipe, vinegar based sauce, red wine vinegar, Greek green peppers, hot pickled cherry peppers, peppadew, pepperoncini, sausage and peppers, comfort food