This easy homemade coconut ice cream has toasty browned butter with a nutty, creamy, and rich flavor. This eggless ice cream base has coconut cream, and toasted coconut flakes topped with a hazelnut brown butter sage sauce. The perfect summer frozen dessert, this ice cream marries perfectly with the tart desserts of Fall. Serve during the holidays on top of the pumpkin or apple pie.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (lightly packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaSpoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2+1/2 cups unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/3 cup Sage Honey Brown Butter available in our online shop
OPTIONAL: Hazelnut Brown Butter Sage Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Spread the shredded coconut in an even layer on a sheet pan and bake, shaking the pan occasionally, until the coconut is an even dark amber color, about 5 minutes.
- At the same time, in a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and xanthan gum.
- Combine the toasted coconut, corn syrup, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Add the sugar mixture and whisk vigorously until smooth. Set the pan over medium heat and cook until the sugar has fully dissolved, about 3 minutes, stirring often and adjusting the heat if necessary to prevent a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sage honey brown butter and coconut cream. Let the base cool.
- Transfer the cooled mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours, or for even better texture and flavor, 24 hours.
- The next day, add the ice cream base into the ice cream maker. Churn for about 25-30 minutes. Check your machine manual as time may differ from one machine to another.
OPTIONAL: Hazelnut Brown Butter Sauce:
- In a small saucepan or frying pan, toast the chopped hazelnut for about 2-3 minutes at medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the Sage Honey Brown Butter, sugar, Frangelico, and a pinch of sea salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the alcohol evaporates – about 1-2 minutes.
The base can be further stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to fully thaw the frozen base before using it.
We partner (affiliate links) with Drizly delivery service, so if you don’t have the Frangelico you can have it delivered.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: churn
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: toasted coconut ice cream, brown butter coconut ice cream, coconut cream ice cream, coconut milk ice cream, honey sage brown butter ice cream, Brown Butter Ghee, Grassfed Ghee, Grassfed Brown Butter, Bulk Butter Oil