I received the inspiration for this dish from my grandmother. Whenever I would go to visit her in Dominican, she would make a delicious steamed eggplant. Today I decided to do an experiment and add our Hatch Chile Pesto to the recipe, adding the Southwestern flavors of this uniquely American take on a Mediterranean classic, and finished it in the oven with some Parmesan cheese. The end result was a yummy dish with some heat from the Hatch Chile Pesto and the saltiness from the Parmesan cheese. You can eat this dish as an appetizer for parties with crostini, crackers, chips, or even with some vegetables. I love to eat it alone or as a side dish with my meals for lunch or dinner.
Eggplant is one of my favorite ingredients to cook because is very versatile and easy to create yummy dishes. This eggplant recipe is easy to make… as easy as 1-2-3.
Eggplant with Hatch Chile Pesto and Parmesan Cheese
- Cut the Eggplant into medium/small cubes
- Use a frying pan or sauce pan with a lid and put the eggplant in.
- Add the garlic, red onion, red pepper, Hatch Chile Pesto and olive oil.
- Steam at low heat until the eggplant is cooked and tender - approximately 20 or 30 minutes – then turn off the heat.
- Add lemon and adjust to your taste and level of acidity.
- Mash the eggplant but leave chunky pieces.
- Add salt & pepper to taste but make sure not to add too much salt because the Parmesan cheese will add some saltiness to the dish
- Add the shaved or grated Parmesan cheese and mix together.
- Put the eggplant mixture in an oven proof dish and broil until the cheese melts completely.