Hazelnut Citrus Torte is one of the desserts served during Passover. This nutty, citrus torte is moist, wheat-flourless, gluten free, and amazingly delicious. It has a little taste of smokiness from the quinoa, which makes the flavor more complex. Serve this torte with a light citrus complement like sorbet, fruit salad, or a creamy, airy whipped crème fraîche, mascarpone or coconut cream. Adapted from a similar recipe by Melissa Clark in the cooking section of the New York Times.
If you like this recipe, join our newsletter.
- 1/4 cup Eleia Kosher certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil, more for oiling pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon hazelnut or almond flour
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 4 large separated eggs
- 2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch spring form pan with parchment and brush pan with olive oil.
- Combine 1/3 sugar and flour: Combine a third of the sugar (about 1/3 cup), the hazelnut flour and the quinoa flour in a bowl.
- Whip 1/3 sugar and yokes: In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip another third of the sugar with the egg yolks on medium speed until thick and pale yellow in color, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup Eleia olive oil, the lemon zest and the citrus juices. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites: In a clean bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites and salt until frothy. Beat in remaining sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 5 minutes. Fold a third of the egg-white mixture into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg-white mixture in 2 batches. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Remove pan sides. Invert pan, remove parchment and turn cake right side up onto a plate.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Jewish
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 25 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg