This homemade naan bread recipe is straightforward and flavorful. The main ingredients for this Indian bread recipe are extra virgin olive oil, honey, fresh cilantro, and other essential baking ingredients. Follow the step by step photos instructions for easy preparation. We also add Greek yogurt which helps to achieve a smooth and soft texture. This simple Naan bread turned out beautiful! So, if it’s your first time attempting flatbread, this is the recipe for you!
- 1 teaSpoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (100 degrees F.)
- 1 TableSpoon TREA Greek Wildflower Honey Click to buy in our online shop
- 2 TableSpoons FIVE Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus some for brushing before cooking Click to buy in our online shop
- 3 TableSpoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaSpoons of chopped fresh cilantro or cilantro paste.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaSpoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaSpoon Pure Greek Sea Salt Click to buy in our online shop
- In a bowl, add the lukewarm water, honey, and the yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes until it gets foamy.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- In the bowl with the yeast, add the yogurt, chopped cilantro, and extra virgin olive oil. Mix to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and combine using a fork. When the dough comes together, use your hands to finish mixing. It will look wet like it needs more flour but it’s ok. As soon as it comes together, stop kneading.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth; let sit in a warm place for about 3 hours until it doubles in size.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface; divide into 8 balls.
- Working with 1 ball at a time, using a rolling pin, roll dough into 9″x 5″ ovals about 1/4″ thick. If dough sticks to your work surface, add a sprinkle of flour.
- Heat a 10″ nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, brush a little olive oil on one side and cook for 45 seconds. Brush a little olive oil on the top side, flip, cover pan with a lid and cook the second side for 45 seconds. Make sure that you get some nice browned spots.
Cover your naan bread to prevent it from drying out
You can brush with ghee, butter, or brown butter right after they come out of the pan. It will give you a luxurious taste.
Dry active yeast usually has a shelf life of around 12 months. Once you open it, it’s best to store it in the refrigerator.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: flatbread, Indian bread, making bread, oven-baked flatbread, unleavened bread