This beautiful apple and olive oil bundt cake might look like a classic bundt cake, but it’s much more than that. Olive oil, Granny Smith apples, cardamom, orange zest and vanilla come together for an awesome cake ideal for the most memorable occasions.
Adapted from the original recipe created by chef-owner Rachael Coyle at Coyle’s Bakeshop in Seattle.
- Cake pan spray or butter/flour your pan
- 3 green pods (1/4 teaspoon) cardamom
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt available in our online shop
- 1 tablespoon orange zest – around 4 oranges
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 cup LIA Extra Virgin Olive Oil available in our online shop
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pound (about 2-3 large apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and using a 14-cup bundt pan, spray evenly and well with baking spray.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Toast the cardamom pods in a small frying pan over medium heat. Stir frequently for about 2 minutes until they are lightly toasted and aromatic. After they cool, crack open the shells and transfer the seeds to a mortar and pestle where you will crush the seeds until they are finely ground. Set aside the ground seeds, and discard shells.
- Add sugar, eggs, egg yolks, and salt in a stand mixer bowl, and using the whisk attachment, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Keep whisking and add in orange zest, vanilla paste, and ground cardamom, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually add in olive oil in a slow, steady stream, slowing the pour as needed to make sure the oil gets fully incorporated.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the wet mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour until almost completely combined. Then add in the apples and fold just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour until golden brown and a long wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer cake pan to a wire rack, and let it cool for 30 minutes still in the pan.
- Invert cake onto the wire rack and let it cool completely for about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with whipped cream.
Cake may be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature up to 2-3 days... if you have the self-control for that long :)
To freeze: Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, and to defrost, just leave it outside on the counter and in a couple of hours, your cake is ready to eat.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: apple cake, olive oil cake, apple Bundt cake, olive oil Bundt cake, cake recipe, Italian dessert