I have to tell you… this Pea Soup with Ham is one of the best, or THE BEST, soups that I have ever made.
Today was one of those days that I just want a nice and flavorful soup. I looked in my pantry cabinet which I call “Ina” in honor of one of my mentors, Ina Garten, who inspired me to learn and love to cook. From there I grabbed the split peas and right away I remembered that I still have the ham bone from our family’s Christmas dinner. I decided to use one of my favorite ingredients from our store at Spoonabilities.com – Cilantro Cottonseed Oil. The great advantage of having this oil is that you don’t need to buy fresh cilantro if the dish/recipe you are planning to make is asking for oil, olive oil or cilantro. By having the Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil in your pantry, you never again have to feel bad seeing your fresh cilantro dying in the refrigerator after one use. That used to happen to me all the time. Give the oil a try and you will be happy you did.
This Split Pea Soup with Ham is one of the most delicious soups I have made so far. Grab some split peas, a ham bone with some ham still on it, and you are on your way to a scrumptious tasty bowl of soup
- 2 cups of split peas
- 2 TableSpoons of powdered Cumin
- 1 TableSpoon of Fresh Cilantro Oil
- 2 leaks
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 cubanelle pepper or any green pepper
- 3 gloves of garlic
- ham bone with some meat still on it
- Any dry herbs – I used a Tuscany herb mix from one possible new product but you can use Herbs de Provence, thyme or rosemary.
- 4 carrots
- 2 stalk of celery
- 1 fennel
- 2– 32 oz containers of organic chicken broth low sodium
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut all the vegetables in small pieces (Leaks, Onion, Pepper, Garlic, Carrots, Celery, Fennel).
- In a large pot on medium to high heat, pour in the Cilantro Cottonseed Oil. Add the vegetables and salt & Pepper to taste. Then cook the vegetables for approximately 7 minutes.
- Add the dry herbs, Cumin and cook until you smell the aroma… around 1 minute.
- Add the split peas, chicken broth and the ham bone.
- Cook for 40 minutes
- Then right after take the bone out and any pieces of ham.
- Cut the ham in small pieces and set aside.
- Blend the soup using a hand blender or a regular blender until the consistency become creamy.
- Add back the small pieces of ham and Enjoy.
- Category: Soup