This creamy pistachio ice cream looks luscious and rich, and the floral aroma and taste of the saffron and rosewater blend with the sweet pistachio cream to transport you to the Iranian culture. Inspired by the Iranian ice cream called “Bastani,” this ice cream is eggless with a more pistachio forward flavor including the use of Sweet Pistachio Cream.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TableSpoons dry milk powder
- 1/4 teaSpoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaSpoon ground cardamom
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Sweet Pistachio cream – available in our online shop
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 3 teaSpoons rosewater
- ½ teaSpoon saffron
- For garnish:
- Combine the sugar, dry milk, saffron, ground cardamom and xanthan gum in a small bowl and stir well.
- In a medium-size pot over medium heat, pour in the corn syrup and stir in the whole milk. Add the sugar mixture and sweet pistachio cream, and immediately whisk vigorously until smooth. Cook the mixture, stirring often and adjusting the heat if necessary to prevent a simmer, until the sugar has fully dissolved – about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the cream and rosewater. Whisk until fully combined. Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours, or for even better texture and flavor, 24 hours. Stir the base back together if it separates during the resting time.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and turn on the machine. Churn just until the mixture has the texture of soft serve (20-30 mins).
- Quickly transfer the ice cream into a freezer-friendly container.
- Cover with parchment paper, pressing it to the surface of the ice cream so it sticks, and then cover with a lid. It’s okay if the parchment hangs over the rim. Store it in the coldest part of your freezer (farthest from the door) until firm, at least 6 hours. It will keep for up to 3 months.
- Serve with crushed dried edible roses, crushed pistachio, and more sweet pistachio cream.
If not using right away, the base can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to fully thaw the frozen base before using it.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Churn
- Cuisine: Iranian
Keywords: frozen dessert, Persian ice cream, Bastani, saffron ice cream, rosewater ice cream, summer treat, summer dessert