Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
I found this recipe in a Vegan website, however where they asked for pumpkin puree, instead substituted the Pumpkin Honey Mustard. This recipe is a combination of Vegan (no dairy), gluten free and Paleo ingredients. An interesting thing that I discovered is that the Vegan community mixes ground flaxseed with water as a substitute for eggs. This is fascinating!! You can have these muffins with butter, nut butter, and I even ate with some more of the Pumpkin Honey Mustard. Please try and let me know what you think..
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 TableSpoon baking powder
- ½ teaSpoon sea salt
- ½ teaSpoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaSpoon ground nutmeg
- 2 TableSpoons ground flaxseed + 6 TableSpoons water
- 1 cup Pumpkin Honey Mustard
- 1 cup Almond Breeze almond milk (honey or unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 TableSpoons coconut oil, liquid
- 1 TableSpoon molasses
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare a regular sized 12-cup muffin tin by greasing or lining 8 cups.
- In a medium sized bowl, make your flaxseed eggs by combining the flaxseed with water, giving it a good stir and allowing it to sit for a few minutes to thicken up.
- In large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Add the remaining ingredients (Pumpkin Honey Mustard, almond milk, coconut sugar, coconut oil and molasses) into the bowl with the flaxseed eggs and stir well to combine.
- Gently add the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Do no over mix.
- Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into 8 cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden in color and a toothpick comes out clean.