Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is our favorite recipe to make during the Fall and Winter season. We are roasting the butternut squash with Raw Rata Honey, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper to get a more in-depth and caramelized flavor. We are also roasting onion, yellow bell pepper, ginger, and garlic along with the squash. This homemade soup has three easy steps: Roast the vegetables, blend them with chicken broth, and heat it through adding coconut cream and Raw Rata honey. We serve this comforting soup with a cheesy feta honey toast.
Roasting Squash & Veggies
- 5 lbs. butternut squash, halved, unpeeled, seeded
- 1 1/2 teaSpoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaSpoon ground black pepper
- 1 TableSpoon Raw RATA Honey, melted
- 1 bulb garlic, top off
- 2 yellow bell peppers, halved & seeded
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered
- 1-inch piece of fresh sliced ginger
- 3 TableSpoons LIA Extra Virgin Olive Oil available in our online shop
- 1 1/2 teaSpoons ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup Raw RATA Honey
- 1/2 teaSpoon dried Daphnis & Chloe Smoked Chili Flakes available in our online shop
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 teaSpoon sea salt
Feta Honey Toast
- 2 TableSpoons Raw Rata Honey
- 2 TableSpoons LIA Extra Virgin Olive Oil available in our online shop
- 6, 1.5oz pieces of thinly sliced sourdough bread
- 1.75 oz vintage finely grated cheddar cheese
- 2.75 oz crumbled feta
Garnish / Toppings
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Splash of coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 380 F.
- Season the Squash: Line a large roasting pan with parchment paper. Brush the cut-side of the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, drizzle with melted Raw Rata Honey, season with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Place squash cut-side down.
- Season the Veggies: In the same tray, place the garlic bulb with the top part cut off, the sliced ginger, the yellow bell pepper with the cut-side up, and the quartered onion. Drizzle with one or two tablespoons of the olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place the ginger and the garlic bulb inside the butternut squash well.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Blend: Scoop butternut squash flesh into a blender with the ginger, onion, and the roasted yellow bell pepper. For the garlic, squeeze the soft flesh into blender. Add vegetable broth, blend until smooth. Note: You will need to blend in two batches because it all won’t fit in the blender at the same time.
- Heat through: Transfer the puréed soup into a medium-large (at least 13 cup capacity) saucepan. Stir soup over medium heat until heated through; add the 1/2 teaspoon of crushed smoked chili flakes, 1/4 cup of Raw Rata Honey, and one cup of coconut cream. Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to adjust the seasoning.
- Serve soup topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of coconut cream, along with feta honey toast.
Make Feta Honey Toast (makes 6 pieces)
- Stir honey and oil in a large frying pan at low heat, just to get the honey melted. Add sourdough bread slices, coat in mixture on both sides.
- Or you can melt the honey and the olive oil in a small saucepan and brush the bread slices.
- Place slices in a single layer on a baking-paper-lined oven tray.
- Sprinkle with cheddar, then with crumbled feta.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden.
Nutritional information is for soup only.
The soup makes 11 cups
- Category: Soup
- Method: Roasted and blended
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash soup, roasted butternut squash soup, vegetarian butternut squash soup, fall soup, winter soup, honey recipe, fall recipes, comfort food, roasted butternut squash, roasted veggies, How to roast butternut squash, how to make feta honey toast, New Zealand Honey, Rata Honey