No matter what time of year it is, we wouldn’t mind a trip to the coast of France. We’re guessing you wouldn’t either. Boarding a plane might not be penciled in on our agenda right now (though we wish it was!) but luckily there are other modes of transporting the senses. Of course, our favorite route is the avenue of food. In one bite you can experience the aromas, culture, and craftsmanship native to the locale. Case in point, we were whisked away to the ambiance of Guerande, France with a single taste of Sel Magique.
Sel Magique is a rare salt that is hand-harvested on ancient, protected sites in a tradition that dates from the Third Century. The salt is collected by paludiers, who have only learned of the practice from elder generations. The course salt crystals are reminiscent of Guerande’s rocky coasts and their mineral-rich flavor reminds you of the bordering crashing sea. If that wasn’t enough, Sel Magique blends their Fleur de Sel de Guerande with Lavender, Thyme, Savory, and Marjoram to create their signature Classic Blend. These savory, herbal notes capture the classic ingredients of the South of France and the artisan attentiveness characteristic of the French culture. Sel Magique may not allow us to enjoy the coast of France for the whole day but it does allow us to escape for a meal.
We love working with our producers like Sel Magique. Earlier this year, they sent us this recipe for Watermelon Feta Terrine Salad. This Mediterranean dish with watermelon, arugula, and feta marinated in a balsamic reduction and topped with Sel Magique Classic Blend is the ideal compliment to a summer day. The Sel Magique elevates the flavors of these familiar ingredients in a way that is akin to a new experience – it’s like a vacation for your taste buds. Once you make Sel Magique your new culinary favorite (there are three flavored blends), be sure to check out their other recipes from breakfast, to snacks, to dinners. As we try them, we’ll post them here with our pictures and recommendations. There are so many spoonabilities!
WATERMELON FETA TERRINE SALAD
- YIELD: 2 Servings
- PREP: 15 mins
- COOK: 30 mins
- READY IN: 1 hr 30 mins
This fresh and delicious recipe is sure to cool you down on a hot summer day!
- 8 OZ feta cheese
- 2 CUPS baby arugula approximately
- 1 medium seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1/2 CUP balsamic vinegar
- Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Make Balsamic reduction.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of Balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer stirring occasionally to reduce the mixture to about half its volume.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a glass, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Terrine Salad.
- Slice the feta into 4 pieces that are 1/4″ thick.
- Slice the watermelon into 4 triangles that measure about half the size of the feta slices.
- Layer your salad by laying the first feta slice on a plate, add a layer of arugula on top, two watermelon triangles, arugula, and top off the salad with another layer of watermelon.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the finished terrine.
- Finish with a sprinkle of Sel Magique Classic Blend and enjoy!