This almond sourdough muffin recipe uses a sourdough starter or sourdough discard. The sourdough makes fluffy and wholesome almond muffins flavored with orange zest and livened by a fistful of sliced almonds and raisins.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt available in our online shop
- 1/3 cup Hellenic Farms extra virgin olive oil available in our online shop
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large room temperature egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 100g room temperature sourdough starter (100% hydration) or sourdough discard
- 1/2 cup dried raisins, combine with ½ teaspoon of flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Demerara sugar for topping – optional
- Preheat oven to 400oF, and prepare the muffin tin with parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl: AP flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk and set aside.
- Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla paste until is well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the sourdough starter. Combine using a spatula until ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Fold in raisins and sliced almonds until is well combined. Don’t overmix.
- Scoop batter using a medium ice cream scoop, and release two scoops into each prepared cups. If you don’t have an ice cream scoop, fill the prepared cups about 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle tops with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin in the middle of the muffin tray to confirm they are ready. If the toothpick comes out clean, take them out of the oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Muffins are best the day they are made
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
For this recipe, you can use sourdough discard or sourdough starter
Substitute raisins for your favorite other dried fruits
Quantity may vary from 8 to 10 muffins.
Two small ice cream scoops for each muffin = 4 teaspoons = 0.66 oz
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: sourdough muffins, sourdough discard recipe, sourdough starter recipe, almond muffins, orange muffins, sourdough recipe, muffin recipe