This thick, rich and decadent Spiced Spanish Hot Chocolate recipe is my favorite hot drink. Inspired by authentic Spanish Hot Chocolate, it is enhanced with the flavors of coconut milk, cardamom, vanilla, instant espresso powder, and both coconut flakes and Cinnamon Maple Syrup drizzle on top. I always get a Spanish Hot Chocolate the second I land in Barcelona, Spain whenever I visit my sister. Now you can make it in your own kitchen!
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 8oz Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Sweet Coconut Flakes
- Whipped Cream
- Organic Cinnamon Infused Vermont Maple Syrup Click to purchase in our online shop
- Warm the milk and coconut milk in a large saucepan on low-medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, vanilla, and instant espresso powder. Stir constantly to make sure everything is combined.
- Pour some of the hot milk in a cup and mix with the cornstarch until the lumps dissolve. Add the mixture back into the saucepan. Whisk until the cornstarch is well mix and there is not lumps.
- Add the dark chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Keep stirring until you get the thickness desired. It may take between 5 and 10 minutes to reach a thick consistency.
- Serve in a large mug and add a spoonful of whipped cream, sprinkle on some coconut flakes and drizzle on some Cinnamon Maple Syrup.
The whipped cream and other toppings not included in the nutritional facts
- Category: Drinks
- Method: heating
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: Spanish chocolate, hot chocolate, spiced hot coco, hot coco, spiced hot drinks