This easy Rugelach cookie is very well-known as a Jewish cookie made with a sweet cream cheese dough filled with a mix of walnut, sugar & cinnamon. We added our Black Fig Preserves, but you can also do it with any of our jams or preserves like Navarino Icons Organic Fig Marmalade, L’Epicurien Apricot Preserve, and Navarino Icons Mandarin Marmalade. Rugelach is often served on Jewish holidays like Hanukkah and Shavuot.
Cream Cheese Pastry:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaSpoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaSpoon salt
Jam Walnut Filling:
- 1/4 cup almonds or walnuts, finely chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup Black Fig Preserves Click to buy from our online shop
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaSpoon cinnamon
- Making the dough using a mixer with the paddle attachment: Combine the cream cheese and the butter mix. Add the vanilla and mix until becomes uniform.
- Add the flour and salt and continue mixing until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove from the mixer, wrap in plastic wrap and chilling for at least two hours. I left it overnight.
- The next day divide the dough in three equal parts. Wrap two of the dough with plastic wrap but individually. Put them back in the refrigerator until you are ready to work with them.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Roll the first dough part into an 11-12 inch circle. You can use a cake pan to measure and cut in a perfect circle.
- Cut each circle into 16 wedges.
- Spread jam and nuts evenly over the whole circle, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Roll wedges starting with the long edge of the rectangle facing you, roll up the dough. Gently tuck and tighten the roll as you go. Finish with the seam of the dough facing down.
- Place on prepared baking sheet point side down. Sprinkle the top with sugar
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Storage in airtight container
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Jewish
- Serving Size: 1 cookies
- Calories: 63
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 24.1 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 12.3 mg