This one-pot meal of Mediterranean Chicken Thighs is braised for 45 minutes in the oven with green lentils & veggies. The chicken thighs are well seasoned with Mediterranean spices like Za’atar, sumac, smoked paprika and other spices. Garnish with pitted jumbo premium Chalkidiki olives, lemon zest, and some lemon thyme herbs.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed
- 2 TableSpoons Lia Extra Virgin Olive Oil Click to purchase in our online shop
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1–1/2 cups carrots in bite-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 TableSpoons tomato paste
- 2 Fresh lemon thyme sprigs
Mediterranean spice mixture:
- 4 TableSpoons za’atar
- 1 teaSpoon smoked ground paprika
- 1 teaSpoon ground coriander
- 1 teaSpoon ground oregano
- 1 teaSpoon ground sumac
- 1 teaSpoon ground cumin
- 1–1/2 teaSpoons Greek Sea Salt Click to purchase in our online shop
- 1 teaSpoon and black pepper
- 1 cup pitted Greek Green Olives Click to purchase in our online shop
- Lemon zest
- Fresh lemon thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine in a small bowl the za’atar, sumac, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, cumin, sea salt & pepper.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken thighs. Rub them with the Mediterranean spice mixture getting into all the crevices. You will have some leftover (unused) spice mix. Keep it aside.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 TableSpoons of EVOO over medium-high. Brown chicken in two batches, placing skin side down for four minutes and then three minutes on the other side. Transfer to a plate.
- Sautee the onions and carrots for 4-5 minutes and add some of the spice mix, garlic, tomato paste, and lentils. Make sure to mix well.
- Add the chicken broth. Taste if needs more seasoning, and add more Mediterranean spice mix if so.
- Bring the chicken thighs back to the pot and arrange them to make sure that most of the meat gets submerged in the liquid
- Throw in the bay leaves and a couple lemon-thyme herbs (or regular thyme). Bring to simmer and cover.
- Braise in the oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender (at least 175°F).
- Transfer chicken to a platter. Strain remaining mixture, reserving liquid. Add lentils and vegetables to chicken on platter and cover to keep warm.
- Return liquid to pot and boil over medium-high heat for around 10-15 minutes until reduced by half.
For plating, put the lentils and carrots on the plate, add the chicken thighs, and then pour the reduced sauce over the chicken. Add the pitted green olives, lemon zest, and finish with some chopped lemon thyme.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 8 serving
- Calories: 587
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 941 mg
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 13 g
- Protein: 42 g
- Cholesterol: 130 mg