Nicoise Toast is an easy appetizer, snack or light meal with toasted sourdough bread layered with creamy smoked paprika mayo, canned tuna, herbs, tomato, shallots & the delectable kalamata olives.
If you like this recipe, join our newsletter.
- 1 lb. tomatoes, cut in half pieces
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
Smoked Paprika Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 4 Tablespoons of Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil PDO Sitia Crete, plus more for drizzling.
- 2 6.7oz. jars of Tonnino Tuna Fillets in water, drained
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup microgreens or fresh tarragon herb.
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives
- Hard boil the eggs: Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Gently lower eggs into the pot with a slotted spoon and cook for 8 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and let cool. Peel eggs; set aside. I use this egg cooker from Hamilton Beach.
- Tomato Salad: In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the lemon juice, shallot, sugar, and a pinch of the sea salt.
- Mayo Mixture: Whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, vinegar and paprika in a small bowl; season with sea salt.
- Toast the Bread: Heat 2 Tablespoons of EVOO in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add 2 slices of bread and cook, adjusting heat as needed, until bottoms are deeply browned - about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle the fried side with sea salt. Repeat with another 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and remaining bread slices.
- TIP: If prefer to use a toaster, you will need less olive oil. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and put in the toaster. Sprinkle on the sea salt after toasted.
- Assemble: Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the toasted side of the bread. Next, scatter the tomato salad and tuna. Slice each egg with an egg cuter and arrange on top. Then add the Kalamata Olives. Garnish with some fresh micro cilantro sprigs or tarragon herb. Finish off with a drizzle of Greek Olive Oil, and Sea Salt.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 2
- Category: snack, appetizer, brunch
- Method: toast
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Nicoise Toast, toast, tuna toast, tartini, open face sandwich, Tuna, Kalamata Olives, Kalamata Olives