Persian Almond Cardamom Pistachio Cake is a moist and aromatic dessert recipe. It can be served during Passover using Kosher's confectionary sugar and matzo meal instead of almond flour. If you want more of an Iranian flavor, add two TableSpoons of rose water. This cake is delicious with a hot Persian Tea (Chai) or Turkish coffee.
- ½ cup FIVE Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for pan which you can order from our online shop
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 TableSpoon almond extract
- 4 ½ cups plus 1 TableSpoon almond flour
- 2 teaSpoons ground cardamom
- 1 to 2 TableSpoons confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 3 to 4 TableSpoons finely chopped pistachio nuts, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9-inch round or square pan and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar, and whisk to blend. Whisk in almond extract and oil. Add almond flour and cardamom.
- Gently stir a third of the whites into the batter, then gently fold in the rest until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on a rack. To decorate, dust with confectioners’ sugar and chopped pistachios.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Middle East
- Calories: 524
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 55.1 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.4 g
- Fiber: 25.7 g
- Protein: 20.8 g
- Cholesterol: 108.5 mg