Make Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl at home for a healthy and refreshing salad with ahi yellowfin tuna in a quick marinade of ponzu sauce with rehydrated dry seaweed, cucumber, jalapeño, scallions, micro arugula, and avocado with a spoonful of spicy mayo, and topped with sesame seed. Poké bowl is the tasty trend coming to you from the Hawaiian Islands.
- 3/4 lbs sushi grade tuna, cut into 1/2 inch square pieces. At the time, I was not able to find fresh tuna and I got sashimi quality - yellowfin tuna (frozen) by Sushi at Home at Whole Foods.
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pickled red cabbage
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 cups Arugula Micro Greens or regular arugula
- 3 Tablespoons Sriracha Mayo
- 2 cups short-grain sushi rice
- 2 cups water, for rice
- 2 Tablespoons dried Eisenia Bicyclis (seaweed). Or you can use any from your local supermarket.
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cucumber, in ribbons made with a Spiralizer (I like English hothouse cucumbers)
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Cooking the rice
- Rinse and drain rice in a fine-mesh colander several times until water runs clear. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a medium pot, add 2 cups water and the rice, season lightly with salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover pot and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; keep warm.
Rehydrated seaweed - Eisenia Bicyclis
- Soak the seaweed Eisenia Bicyclis in a small bowl with 1/2 cup cold water for about 30 minutes until rehydrated and softened, and then drain.
- In a small clean bowl, add the rehydrated seaweed to 1 Tablespoon mirin, 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and drain.
Brine - pickle vegetables
- In another bowl add rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and water. Whisk to combine.
- Toss the cucumber cut in ribbons with a pinch of salt and squeeze to release excess water.
- Add the jalapeño and cucumber into the brine. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes and up to one hour to pickle.
- Drain and squeeze to dry.
Make the ponzu sauce
- In a small bowl add the citrus juice, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil. Set aside.
Assemble the poke bowl
- Cut the tuna into 1/2 inch square pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss in the tuna, rehydrated seaweed, pickled cucumber and jalapeño, scallions and ponzu sauce. Taste and add more salt as need it.
- Cut the avocado and toss with the tuna mixture.
- Add rice into the presentation bowls, top with the marinated tuna mixture, red cabbage, a spoonful of spicy mayo (Sriracha Mayo), a handful of micro arugula, and sprinkle sesame seed on top.
Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 52%, Calcium 6%, Iron 14%, Vitamin B12 29%, Vitamin E 7%, Vitamin K 54%
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Hawaiian, Japanese, American
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 668
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 799.5 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 84.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 31.3 g
- Cholesterol: 38.8 mg