Make buttery and nutty cashew thumbprint cookies embellished with a dollop of goat’s milk caramel (cajeta). You can make 24 of these one-biters fast and easy — the perfect cookies for a get-together over a cup of coffee.
- Combine butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla extract, orange zest, and salt, and mix thoroughly. Stir in flour, and mix to combine.
- Wrap the dough in a large sheet of plastic wrap and press into a disk. Then chill the dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325F, and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the cashew sugar: In a small bowl, combine the finely chopped cashews with the sugar. In another bowl, beat egg white until frothy.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Dip balls in egg white, and then dip in the cashew sugar.
- Place balls on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Press the centers of the balls down with your thumb. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven, and press the centers down again using the end of a wooden spoon. Return the cookies to the oven and bake 6 to 8 minutes more until they are golden brown.
- Cool cookies 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Fill cookie centers with caramel sauce, and then top each cookie with one whole cashew.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caramel cookies, caramel thumbprint cookies, cashew caramel cookies, holiday baking, holiday cookies, Christmas cookies