The Best Carrot Cake Recipe you’ll find. Years of research in finding the recipe as close as possible to the homemade moist carrot cake mom used to make. You don’t need a stand mixer either, and you can quickly adapt it to vegan and gluten-free diets.
- 1-1/2 lbs. (about 4 cups) cleaned and grated carrots
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- pinch of salt
For cream cheese icing:
- 6 oz softened cream cheese (low-fat works too)
- 6 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1.5 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter the insides of (3) three 9” cake rounds, line the bottom with parchment paper cut to size, and sprinkle with flour, shake out excess flour, and set aside. You can also use baking spray – spray bottom both above and below parchment paper.
- Beat sugar and eggs until thick and then slowly beat in oil gradually.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the wet mixture and add in vanilla.
- Fold in carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
- Spoon equal amounts of batter into each of the 3 cake pans. (If possible, I recommend weighing the batter in each pan so that you know you have equal amounts for each cake.)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched.
- Cool cakes on wire rack for 10 minutes, then flip them out to cool completely.
- Blend the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar together and mix well for the icing
- Frost between the layers, around the sides and the top.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake homemade, carrot cake cupcake recipe, carrot cake from scratch, cream cheese frosting, cream cheese icing, healthy carrot cake