Celery root soup recipe is creamy, flavorful and easy to make. This soup simmers for 45 minutes with celery root, leek, garlic and a chunk of parmesan cheese. In a blender, puree the soup until very smooth. Top this soup with a crunchy, nutty walnut and parsley gremolata. Recipe adapted from Food & Wine Magazine.
If you like this recipe, why not be part of our newsletter community
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, slices thin, just the white and light green parts
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 pounds celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
- One 2-inch chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 ounce), plus 1/4 cup freshly grated cheese
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil. I use Lia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leek and garlic, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened – about 5 minutes. Add the celery root, Parmesan chunk, stock and 5 cups of water. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the celery root is tender - about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden. Let cool and then finely chop.
- Transfer walnuts to a bowl. Add the oil, parsley and grated cheese and mix well. Set this gremolata aside.
- In a blender, puree the soup in 2 batches until very smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan and stir in the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and reheat if necessary.
- Serve topped with the walnut gremolata.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: International