Death by Chocolate Cake has three layers of delicious chocolate cake that melts in your mouth. Each cake layer is further moistened by brushing on a raspberry jam & brandy sauce, then stacked between a chocolate filling, and surrounded and topped with a rich dark chocolate ganache. Don't forget the chocolate curls on top!
Adapted from Martha Day’s cookbook “Glorious Desserts.”
For the Cake:
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. I prefer to use vanilla bean paste. Click to order on Amazon.com
- 2 separated eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
- 4 Tablespoons Raspberry Seedless Preserve.
- 4 Tablespoons brandy
- 14 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter
For the topping: whipped chocolate ganache
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chips
For the chocolate curls:
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz. white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and line the bottom of a deep 9-inch springform cake pan.
To make the cake batter:
- Place the chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a saucepan. Heat gently until smooth. Remove from the heat, beat in the sugar, instant coffee, and vanilla, then cool.
- Beat the egg yolks and cream in a bowl, then beat into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the chocolate mixture and fold in.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff; fold into the chocolate batter.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert to a wire rack to cool.
- Carefully slice the cold cake into thirds across the middle to make three even layers.
To make the filling & ensemble:
- Warm the raspberry jam in a small saucepan, with 1 Tablespoon of brandy. Then brush all of it on two of the layers. Note: Brush into the side of the cake that is cut.
- Heat the remaining brandy in a saucepan with the chocolate and butter, stirring, until smooth. Cool until it begins to thicken.
- Spread the bottom cake layer with half of the chocolate filling, taking care not to disturb the jam-brushed filling.
- Top the bottom cake layer with a second cake layer, jam side up, and spread with the remaining filling. Top with the final layer and press lightly. Let set.
Make and apply the ganache topping:
- Heat the cream and chocolate together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate has melted. Pour into a bowl, let cool, then whisk until mixture begins to hold its shape.
- Spread the top and sides of the cake with the chocolate ganache.
- Decorate with the semi-sweet chocolate curls and white chocolate shards.
How to make chocolate shards & curls.
- Place a small baking sheet in the refrigerator one hour before or in the freezer 15 minutes before.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, in a small bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the baking sheet. Spread the chocolate evenly and thinly until hardened. If needed, set it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- For Curls: Starting from the edge and using a spatula, scrape chocolate into curls. If chocolate is too hard, let it sit at room temperature for 1 to 2 minutes. If it gets too soft, return it to the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- For Shards: Allow to fully harden in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Crack into shard pieces.
Vitamin A 16%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 11%, Iron 12%, Vitamin B12 2%, Vitamin E 3%, Vitamin K 5%
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 34.6 g
- Sodium: 191 mg
- Fat: 28.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 57.4 mg
Keywords: chocolate cake, decadent dessert, chocolate, cake recipe, layer cake, 3 layer cake