Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup has fresh corn, coconut milk and I added additional flavors with our Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil, and Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil by Acala Farms, and Hatch Chile Pesto. To complement this soup, we made tropical cilantro lime grilled shrimp. This super easy delicious recipe will be a great addition to your spring or summer menu.
For the shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt & pepper
For the soup
- 2 TableSpoons Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7oz) Hatch Chile Pesto
- 1 32oz carton of no-salt chicken stock
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (can)
- 2 ears of fresh corn or 1–1/2 cups of frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- kosher salt, to taste
Marinade the shrimp:
- In a plastic bag, mix Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil and lime juice. Then add shrimp and mix to coat well. Keep it in the refrigerator to marinade for 1 hour.
Making the Soup:
- In a medium pot, add 2 TableSpoons of Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onions and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes until it becomes translucent and soft.
- Pour in the Hatch Chile Pesto and the corn kernels and sauté for a couple of minutes at low heat.
- Add chicken stock and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep warm while you cook the shrimp.
Cooking the Shrimp:
- Preheat a non-stick large fry pan or the grill over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and leave space in between them to make sure the shrimp seal well. When the shrimp is pink, flip it to the other side. Do not overcook the shrimp!
- Do it in batches if you needs to. Transfer a plate.
Serving the Finished Soup:
- Pour the creamy soup into a bowl and place the shrimp hanging on one side of the bowl (add as many you like) and top with crumbled queso fresco, and chopped cilantro for a fresh touch.
Tip: 2 ears of fresh corn is equal to 1-1/2 cups of frozen corn kernels
Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 18%, Calcium 19%, Iron 16%
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex, Mexican
- Serving Size: 10 serving / 1 cup +/-
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 819.7 mg
- Fat: 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg