I am bringing you the perfect recipe for when you feel the craving for a comforting meal with a fresh corn base – Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup accompanied with some tropical flavors from cilantro lime grilled shrimp. I infused extra flavors with our Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil, and Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil by Acala Farms, and the star ingredient is Hatch Chile Pesto.
Soup is My Favorite Comfort Food
Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. This week, I created a very comforting creamy soup with “south of the border” flavors like fresh corn, Hatch Chile Pesto, cilantro, and queso fresco. As always, I like to express my Caribbean flavors, this time combining sweet coconut milk with an herby and lemony grilled shrimp.
Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup is packed with fresh flavors of the season, and the Hatch Chile Pesto gives this soup a delicious taste with the right amount of spiciness.
If you love Mexican food like we do, you can enjoy this creamy soup to celebrate Cinco de Mayo or any Mexican themed get-together. Here are some of our other favorite Mexican recipes:
- Mexican Lasagna with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
- Fiesta Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- Short Rib Tacos with Southern Spicy Orange BBQ Sauce and Cucumber/Orange Salsa
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps with Chile Red Pepper Tapenade
- Brie Quesadilla with Jalapeno Raspberry Jam
Have a happy and positive week!
OH!, and if you have some corn leftover, why not try the best guacamole recipe you ever tasted.
Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup with Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp
Yield 10 -/+ Servings
Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup has fresh corn, coconut milk and I added additional flavors with our Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil, and Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil by Acala Farms, and our Hatch Chile Pesto by The Gracious Gourmet. To complement this soup, we made tropical cilantro lime grilled shrimp. This super easy delicious recipe will be a great addition to your spring or summer menu.
For the shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt & pepper
For the soup
- 2 TableSpoons Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7oz) Hatch Chile Pesto
- 1 32oz carton of no-salt chicken stock
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (can)
- 2 ears of fresh corn or 1-1/2 cups of frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- kosher salt, to taste
Marinade the shrimp:
- In a plastic bag, mix Fresh Cilantro Cottonseed Oil and lime juice. Then add shrimp and mix to coat well. Keep it in the refrigerator to marinade for 1 hour.
Making the Soup:
- In a medium pot, add 2 TableSpoons of Fresh Roasted Garlic Cottonseed Oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onions and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes until it becomes translucent and soft.
- Pour in the Hatch Chile Pesto and the corn kernels and sauté for a couple of minutes at low heat.
- Add chicken stock and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep warm while you cook the shrimp.
Cooking the Shrimp:
- Preheat a non-stick large fry pan or the grill over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and leave space in between them to make sure the shrimp seal well. When the shrimp is pink, flip it to the other side. Do not overcook the shrimp!
- Do it in batches if you needs to. Transfer a plate.
Serving the Finished Soup:
- Pour the creamy soup into a bowl and place the shrimp hanging on one side of the bowl (add as many you like) and top with crumbled queso fresco, and chopped cilantro for a fresh touch.
Tip: 2 ears of fresh corn is equal to 1-1/2 cups of frozen corn kernels
Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 18%, Calcium 19%, Iron 16%
Cuisine Tex-Mex, Mexican
Serving Size 10 serving / 1 cup +/-
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 29.7 g
Saturated Fat 8.6 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 819.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16 g
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 14.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Products and displays used in this recipe:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy