Spiced lamb meatballs can be made in 15 minutes, and ahead the time you want to serve them. Mediterranean flavors of fresh herbs and spices give these meatballs such an amazing flavor. This lamb meatballs recipe is perfect as an appetizer or as a main dish. Serve on a bed of Greek yogurt with a piquillo pepper pesto.
For Meatballs: 20-21 meatballs
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 TableSpoon chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2-1/2 TableSpoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaSpoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaSpoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaSpoon paprika
- ½ teaSpoon oregano
- 1 teaSpoon kosher salt, plus some extra
- 1/8 teaSpoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, grated/smashed
- ½ of small onion, grated
- 2 TableSpoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil Click to buy in our online shop
For Piquillo Pepper Pesto:
- 1 jar (10oz) Piquillo Peppers
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaSpoon salt Click to buy in our online shop
- 1/4 teaSpoon pepper
- ½ cup (at least) Extra Virgin Olive Oil Click to buy in our online shop
- Plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add lamb and mix with your hands until evenly distributed.
- Gently roll lamb mixture into 1½" diameter balls (about the size of a golf ball). You should have about 20-21. I use a small ice cream scoop like this one. Place meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs until browned and cooked through - about 8–10 minutes.
Piquillo Pepper Pesto:
- Add all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and combine.
- With the processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed - about a minute. Reserve for assembly. If pesto is a bit thick, just add more olive oil. Taste pesto; season with more salt if needed.
Spread yogurt over plates and divide pesto and meatballs on top.
Do Ahead: Pesto can be made 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Meatballs can be formed 2 months ahead; freeze on baking sheet until firm, about 2 hours. Then transfer to a freezer bag and keep frozen.
Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 36%, Calcium 8%, Iron 7%, Vitamin D 2%, Vitamin B12 9%, Vitamin E 1%, Vitamin K 13%
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 lamb meatballs
- Calories: 150
- Sodium: 313.7 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 26 mg