Made with ground almond, lemon zest, and eggs, Lemony Almond Macaroons is a delicious dessert recipe shaped into small balls and covered in sugar with a whole almond inserted in the center. This easy recipe is gluten free & perfect for Passover. This definitely is a sugary and nutty dessert!
Adapted from the NYT-Cooking session.
- 2 cups whole blanched almonds, plus about 30 almonds for decoration
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Using a food processor equipped with a metal blade, grind 2 cups almonds very finely. Add 3/4 cup sugar, the egg and lemon zest, and pulse to make a cohesive dough.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
After cooling for 12 hours:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick liner. Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.
- Pinching off pieces of dough about the size of a walnut, roll them first into balls, then into sugar. Gently press an almond, point first, into the top of each cookie, so that half of the almond can still be seen. Arrange cookies one inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies have just a slight hint of color but still remain soft, 8 to 10 minutes. (Cookies must be soft when removed from oven to avoid excess hardening when they cool.) Cool completely, and store in an airtight container.
Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 3%, Iron 2%
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Middle East
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 6.2 mg