This Mushroom Stuffing Recipe is loaded with fresh herbs, and flavorful with the meaty and earthy taste of Shiitake, Cremini, and White Mushrooms. The sourdough bread cubes are moist on the inside but still crispy on the outside. For this recipe, I offer both vegan and vegetarian options.
- 12 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 7 TableSpoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided (3, 2 & 2) I use Lia Greek Olive Oil - buy in our online shop
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned & chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, cleaned & chopped
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned & chopped
- 1 TableSpoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup Riesling wine + 2 TableSpoons
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 TableSpoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaSpoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaSpoons oregano
- 3/4 teaSpoon ground black pepper, divided in 1/4
- 3/4 teaSpoon kosher salt, divided in 1/4, I use Sea Salt with Oregano and other herbs from Salt Odyssey - buy in our online shop
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, unsalted
- 2 large eggs
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange sourdough bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Leave aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 TableSpoons olive oil and add mushrooms, add a 1/4 teaSpoon of salt (Salt Odyssey) & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the juice from the mushrooms evaporates. Add 1 TableSpoon sherry vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits and add the 1/2 cup of Riesling wine and keep scraping the pan. Add this mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add 2 TableSpoons extra virgin olive oil. Add onion, celery, thyme, oregano, and garlic. Sprinkle a 1/4 teaSpoon of salt (Salt Odyssey) & pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add the chopped sage and stir, and add 2 TableSpoons of wine; cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in parsley. Add onion-herb mixture to the large bowl with the mushroom. Then, add the bread to the mixture; toss to combine.
- Combine chicken stock, 2 TableSpoons olive oil and eggs in a bowl, stir. Pour half of the stock mixture over bread mixture and toss; add the rest of the stock mixture and toss again. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt (Salt Odyssey) & pepper and toss again.
- Spoon mushroom-bread mixture into a 2-quart ceramic baking dish coated with olive oil.
- Let stand 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Drizzle more olive oil on top before putting in the oven.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Egg Replacement: Use flaxseeds for binding. For each “egg” combine 1 TableSpoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 TableSpoons of water to make a thick and gelatinous egg replacement. Another substitution is to use canned pumpkin puree
- Bread Replacement: Check the ingredients because some stores have vegan whole wheat bread - no milk added.
- Add dried cured Spanish Chorizo in the mix before putting it in the oven.
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 32%
- Calcium 9%
- Iron 20%
- Vitamin B12 2%
- Vitamin E 1%
- Vitamin K 61%
- Category: Dinner, side dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 38.4 mg