This Mushroom Stuffing Recipe is loaded with fresh herbs, and flavorful with the meaty and earthy taste of Shiitake, Cremini, and White Mushrooms. The sourdough bread cubes are moist on the inside but still crispy on the outside. For this recipe, I offer both vegan and vegetarian options.
If you like this recipe, join our newsletter to know about future ones.
- 12 ounces, cut into 3/4-in. cubes, sourdough bread
- 7 Tablespoons (divided into portions of 3, 2 & 2 tablespoons) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces cleaned & chopped cremini mushrooms
- 8 ounces cleaned & chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 ounces cleaned & chopped white mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Riesling wine
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon (divided into 1/4 portions) ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon (divided into 1/4 portions) kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange sourdough bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Leave aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 Tablespoons olive oil and add mushrooms, add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the juice from the mushrooms evaporates. Add 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits and add the 1/2 cup of Riesling wine and keep scraping the pan. Add this mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
- Saute: Return skillet to medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Add onion, celery, thyme, oregano, and garlic. Sprinkle a 1/4 teaspoon of salt & pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add the chopped sage and stir, and add 2 Tablespoons of wine; cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Combine: Remove pan from heat; stir in parsley. Add onion-herb mixture to the large bowl with the mushroom. Then, add the bread to the mixture; toss to combine.
- Toss: Combine chicken stock, 2 Tablespoons olive oil and eggs in a bowl, stir. Pour half of the stock mixture over bread mixture and toss; add the rest of the stock mixture and toss again. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt & pepper and toss again.
- Spoon mushroom-bread mixture into a 2-quart ceramic baking dish coated with olive oil.
- Let stand 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Drizzle more olive oil on top before putting in the oven.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Egg Replacement: Use flaxseeds for binding. For each “egg” combine 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 Tablespoons of water to make a thick and gelatinous egg replacement. Another substitution is to use canned pumpkin puree
- Bread Replacement: Check the ingredients because some stores have vegan whole wheat bread - no milk added.
- Add dried cured Spanish Chorizo in the mix before putting it in the oven.
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 32%
- Calcium 9%
- Iron 20%
- Vitamin B12 2%
- Vitamin E 1%
- Vitamin K 61%
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 38.4 mg
Keywords: mushroom stuffing, shiitake mushroom stuffing, mushroom.stuffing, shiitake mushroom stuffing recipe