Don’t throw away your sourdough discard; make muffins with it! Along with overripe bananas and chocolate chips, you end up with the most delicious version of muffins ever. And don’t think for a second these aren't fun; these are the very definition of fun! Inspired by a recipe from Baked from Scratch
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt available in our online shop
- 1 cup (275 grams) sourdough starter or discard, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons Hellenic Farms Extra Virgin Olive Oil available in our online shop
- 1 cup well-mashed ripe bananas
- ½ cup cold Greek yogurt
- 1 large lightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup 60% cacao dark chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffins liners.
- Combine the flour, white and brown sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Put the sourdough discard and olive oil in a medium bowl, and stir until well combined.
- Place the mashed banana, sour cream, beaten egg, and vanilla paste in a small bowl, and mix to combine.
- Join the banana mixture to the discard mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Add the banana-sourdough mixture to the flour mixture, and fold with a spatula to combine. Add the chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin holders (use an ice cream scoop). Fill the muffins cups up between two-thirds to three-fourths full.
- Bake for 25 minutes and insert a wooden toothpick in the center to make sure the muffins are cooked through. They should be brown and golden outside.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes. Then, remove the sourdough muffins from the tray, and let cool completely on the wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Use overripe bananas. They are the best for baked goods.
- Category: Dessert/breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana muffins, chocolate chips muffins, chocolate muffins, sourdough discard, sourdough discard recipe, sourdough starter recipe, sourdough recipe