Croque Monsieur with Pumpkin Honey Mustard
This traditional French Croque Monsieur sandwich had a transformation by using flaky puff pastry filled with creamy Béchamel which balances the saltiness of the air cured Italian prosciutto, and the creaminess of the Gruyere cheese. We enhanced this recipe with our Honey Pumpkin Mustard which adds and sweet and tanginess to this dish. This recipe was inspired by "Cooking for Keeps's" blog
- 2 sheets of Puff Pastry, cut into 12 even rectangles
- 1-1/2 TableSpoon butter
- 2 TableSpoon flour
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 1/2 TeaSpoon Pumpkin Honey Mustard
- 1/2 TeaSpoon salt
- 6 thin sliced prosciutto
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook one minute.
- Very slowly whisk in hot milk and Pumpkin Honey Mustard. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thick, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place six puff pastry rectangles on prepared baking sheet.
- Place one piece of prosciutto on puff pastry rectangle, top with 2 heaping teaSpoons of béchamel sauce and then sprinkle with 2 TableSpoons of cheese. Make sure to leave an edge all the way around.
- Brush edges with egg wash.
- Place top half on filling and seal, making sure to get all air bubbles out.
- Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Cut three slits in the top.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Products and displays used in this recipe:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy.