Lemony Israeli Couscous
Yield 6 cups
This Lemony Israeli Couscous is super easy to make. We added a light flavor with some shallots, lemon juice and toasted almond. This recipe is featured in our Chipotle Cherry Sauce over Broiled Salmon.
- 1/2 half of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced almond
- 2 teaSpoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups pearl (Israeli) couscous (12 oz)
- 2 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1/4 teaSpoon salt
- 1 shallot
- Heat 2 teaSpoons olive oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute
- Then toast couscous & sliced almond, stirring constantly until fragrant and a pale golden color - between 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, and add the salt. Cover and simmer on low heat until liquid is absorbed and couscous is al dente; 10 to 12 minutes. (I prefer mine more on the tender side)
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. Adjust the salt as needed
Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 5%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%
Cuisine Middle East
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.9 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Cholesterol 30.6 mg
Sodium 133.3 mg
Total Carbohydrates 53.8 g
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 17.8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.