Quinoa Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Honey Mustard Vinaigrette is a healthy recipe great as a side dish for your lunch or dinner. I love rice in any possible combination, but it’s difficult to indulge as much as I want and still be healthy and in shape. In comes my love for quinoa.
My Love for Quinoa…..
Hello my friends. I’m a BIG rice lover, and being from Dominican Republic, I can eat rice for breakfast, lunch, dinner and as a late night snack. Also, I love rice in any possible combination. But it’s very difficult to indulge that much if I want to be healthy and stay in shape. When I decided to look for a grain alternative that will fill my craving for white rice, I changed to brown rice but I never was able to cook a good tender brown rice.
Quinoa is a healthy alternative for white rice
One day watching the Food Network, they mentioned that quinoa is a healthy alternative for white rice and with a higher protein content. Since that moment quinoa has been in my weekly menu but to be honest with you, I was already getting tired of eating the same recipe over and over.
Lately, I found so many recipe ideas which inspired me to be more creative and not be afraid to cook quinoa with anything that comes to my mind. I wanted to cook quinoa with one of the Spoonabilities products but I also wanted to incorporate it with different seasonal produce. Then, when I was looking online for ideas I found a recipe from a blogger named Little Broken and I adapted her recipe with only a few changes including using Pumpkin Honey Mustard – buy it here in our online shop instead of Dijon Mustard.
Easy Recipe for Quinoa Salad
This quinoa salad recipe is very tasty with a nutty flavor from the toasted quinoa, sweet from the Pumpkin Honey Mustard and a little bit tart from the dried cranberry. Also, the roasted butternut squash was a hit in this dish because when you roast this vegetable, it helps to concentrate the flavors with a crispy texture outside but is still soft in the inside. The roasting process helps to caramelize and bring out the sweetness of the butternut squash. This recipe is in my “Easy 1-2-3” Collection.
My proud moment was when my official taster, Geoffrey, told me that he loved this quinoa recipe. He really is not a big salad or quinoa fan, so it’s a big compliment. Come on! Be adventurous like me and try this recipe and share your experience with me and your friends tagging your photos with the hashtags #QuinoaSalad #PumpkinHoneyMustard and #Spoonabilities.
Your Recipe Concierge
Quinoa Salad recipe with Roasted Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. Perfect recipe as an Autumn side dish or main salad.
For the Quinoa:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaSpoon of salt
For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 TableSpoons of Pumpkin Honey Mustard Click to buy in our online shop
- 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Click to buy in our online shop
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar Click to buy in our online shop
- 1/2 teaSpoon of salt & pepper
Other ingredients for your salad:
- 1/3 cup dried cranberry
- 2 TableSpoons red onion, finely chopped
- 3 TableSpoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 TableSpoon parsley
- 2 or 3 cups butternut squash chopped in cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. I use my convection oven in the roasting setting.
- In a baking sheet, toss the chopped butternut squash with some salt, pepper and olive oil. Arrange the squash in a single layer with space between, this will help to roast evenly. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Heat a sauce pan with some olive oil. Pour the quinoa and toast until is lightly brown, this will give a delicious nutty flavor. Add the 2 cups of chicken broth, the stick of cinnamon and the bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the ingredients for the vinaigrette. When the quinoa and the butternut squash are ready, add in the quinoa, red onion, toasted pumpkin seeds, roasted butternut squash, shredded carrots, parsley and dried cranberry.
- Category: Side Dish