Savory Corn Muffins with Basil, Ricotta Cheese, and Cinnamon Clove Tomato Jam
You'll love this recipe for Savory Corn Muffins with Ricotta Cheese, Cinnamon, Clove, and Tomato Jam topped with a Basil. These muffins or cupcakes, depending on how much batter you put in the cups, are a beautiful transition from summer products like corn and tomato, along with the aromatic spices from the Fall. These muffins are delicious, sweet, savory and moist.
- 1 Jar Tomato Jam
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 TableSpoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaSpoon clove
- 4 TableSpoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 teaSpoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaSpoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaSpoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaSpoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ears of corn, kernels only
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 TableSpoons freshly chopped basil
- Handful of basil, chiffonade (sliced thinly into ribbons)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease and line about 24 muffins cups.
- Beat together the brown sugar and the butter until well combined, at least 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, add each one after the previous one is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed throughout this process.
- Add in sour cream, and once it has been fully mixed in, add in the olive oil and mix until incorporated.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and black pepper.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter, then add 1/2 cup of milk, allowing it to incorporate before adding another 1/3 of the flour. Mix.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk, and finally, add in the last of your flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure that the batter is evenly mixed.
- Fold in your corn kernels and your chopped basil.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full with your batter,.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool completely.
- Cut out a small hole in the top of your cupcakes using a paring knife, pineapple, apple or cupcake corer.
- Combine in a bowl the tomato jam, cinnamon and clove.
- Fill each hole with the Cinnamon Clove Tomato Jam, then use a piping bag or plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe a small dollop of ricotta on top of each hole.
- Top with a few pieces of basil chiffonade.
- These will keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours; The muffins are best to serve the same day.
Products and displays used in this recipe:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy.