Have you ever tried an easy Salted Caramel Pear Trifle? Then, you are missing an amazingly surprising dessert. Trifle is a traditional British dessert with flavored cream, fruits and a buttery pound or sponge cake soaked in sherry wine and custard, and topped with whipped cream. Since its original creation, this dessert has been evolving with many different variations over the ages.
For this Pear Trifle recipe, we will place four layers of texture in clear glass tumblers with straight edges. The most important part of this recipe is poaching the pears in the sugary aromatic water for 15 minutes and then letting the pears cool down in the syrup. When you poach the pears in this light sweet water containing cinnamon, lemon peel and vanilla bean, the pears take on such a delightful taste. You can use these poached pears in so many different recipes, and as a final touch to take any “OK” dessert to a new gourmet level.
Now for the infused whipped cream with Salted Caramel Sauce. I like to use gelatin powder in the whipped cream so that it holds the airy consistency for many days. If you don’t do this, the fresh whipped cream will lose its fluffiness pretty fast.
Make sure to have fun assembling the trifle, but it must be done in this order: Add the pound cake, 5 thinly sliced pieces of pears, drizzle on the caramel sauce, and then the flavored whipped cream. Repeat these steps two or three times, and then finally top with caramel sauce and crushed hazelnut.
With this easy Salted Caramel Pear Trifle, you’ll die and go to heaven with every bite. Ask Geoffrey because he took 3 or 4 glasses to work and kept them in his private refrigerator for himself. If you love easy recipes with caramel, also check out this Mini Caramel Apples recipe. I assure you that your kids will love it.
UPDATE: This recipe is also part of our special group of caramel sauce recipes called 6 Creamy Dreamy Caramel Sauce Recipes You will Crave All Year Long.
Happy New Year my friends!
Easy Salted Caramel Pear Trifle
Yield 12 People
Easy Salted Caramel Pear Trifle has flavored whipped cream piped between layers of pound cake, poached pears, Coop's Salted Caramel Sauce and topped with crushed toasted hazelnut. Can be made the day before.
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 2-inch strip lemon peel
- 4 firm & ripe Bosc pears, peeled, halved, cored
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 teaSpoon unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 1/2 TableSpoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaSpoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Coop's Salted Caramel Sauce
- 12 1/4-inch-thick slices from purchased 12-ounce pound cake
- 1/2 cup crushed hazelnut, toasted
Making the Pears:
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into large saucepan; add bean. Add 6 cups water, sugar and lemon peel.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Add pears; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool pears in syrup.
Making the Whipped Cream:
- Beat chilled cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in large bowl until firm peaks form.
- Fold 1/2 cup caramel sauce into cream. NOTE: You may need to heat the caramel sauce slightly (5-8 seconds in microwave) and stir to work with it. Make sure it is not warm going into the cream.
Assembling the Trifle:
- Drain pears and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Press 1 piece of cake into each of the six 12- to 14-ounce tumblers.
- Top each with 5 pear slices, 2 teaSpoons caramel sauce and 1/4 cup caramel cream.
- Repeat layering with cake, pears, caramel sauce and caramel cream. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Drizzle remaining caramel sauce over trifles. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.
Serving Size 12 of 8 oz glass
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 42.5 g
Saturated Fat 19.1 g
Cholesterol 164.2 mg
Sodium 574 mg
Total Carbohydrates 118.6 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Sugars 72.9 g
Protein 9.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Products used in this Recipe:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy.