Fennel Cucumber & Celery Slaw is a great topping or side salad made out of celery, fennel, fennel frond, shallots, and cucumbers which is lightly seasoned with premium extra virgin olive oil, and Greek sea salt with oregano and sesame.
Hello my friends.
Fennel, Cucumber & Celery Slaw is a great coleslaw alternative which is wonderful as a topping to your lamb or beef burgers, as a side salad, or an accompaniment for all your BBQ meals. For all your grilled meals, you can make this slaw either before you make the lamb patties or while your burgers are resting after grilling. I honestly prefer to make it while the patties are resting because the vegetables will have more of a crunch when you bite into them. It will depend on your taste. I tried both ways, and I like both. When you make the slaw early, the vegetables will soften a bit and the flavor will be a bit more like a pickle style but still with a crunch. If you make it right before serving, it will give the burger a fresh, crispy bite. I use this slaw as a topping, and as a side salad with lamb burgers along with sweet potato fries.
Let’s Talk Fennel and the Slaw’s Versatility
Let’s talk about fennel. I tried fennel before but it didn’t catch my attention enough to want to try it again. The licorice taste was too much for me back then. So when I was developing this recipe, I tried roasting the fennel and that was the trick that made me fall in love with the fennel flavor. After developing this slaw recipe, I have been eating this slaw as a salad all week long, and plan to put it on the menu again. A quick pickle with lemon juice, Greek sea salt with oregano and sesame, and olive oil, mellow down the licorice flavor. I think this slaw should have its own recipe blog post alone as a salad or side dish. The versatility of how you can use it is endless. I used it as a topping for skirt steak tacos, picadillo tacos, and as a side salad with a crispy skin snapper recipe I made last year instead of the original caper salsa.
Like this recipe so far? Be the first to know when we release new ones!
How to Make Fennel, Cucumber, & Celery Slaw
- Cut the fennel, cucumber, celery, and shallot using a mandolin. By using a mandolin, you will cut your vegetables faster and all the same size. I use this mandolin from Paderno.
How to cut fennel
- Remove the fennel fronds from the stalks. Now, cut the stalks from the bulb and cut the very bottom part of the fennel where the roots were.
- It doesn't matter from which side you slice the fennel. You can hold it from the top and cut along the bottom, or hold it on the side and cut sideways. As long as it's thin and all the same size.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the sliced veggies, the mint leaves, and the fennel fronds. Add the lemon juice
- Followed by Eleia Kosher-certified premium extra virgin olive oil, and Greek sea salt with oregano and sesame.
- Mix with your hands gently until the veggies are well coated.
Your fennel, cucumber, celery, shallots, and fennel fronds slaw is ready to eat as a salad and for burgers as a topping.
That's all it takes to make this simple Fennel Cucumber & Celery Slaw that you can use as a side salad for your barbecue meals, or as a topping right on top of your burgers like a Spicy Burger, a Gourmet Dominican Chimichurri Hamburger, and even on short rib tacos. We would love to hear if you make this recipe, and how you used it! Share your creation with us by leaving a comment below and remember to rate this recipe (5 stars, right?). Share your photos on social media and tag @spoonabilities using the hashtag #Spoonabilities. I can’t wait to see what you created.
Wishing you Tasty Happenings,
Your Recipe Concierge
Interested in More Summer Salads?
- Simple Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Watermelon Salad with Arugula, Blue Cheese & Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Summer Stone Fruit Caprese Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
Fennel Cucumber & Celery Slaw
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Fennel, cucumber & celery slaw great as a topping to your lamb or beef burgers, as a side salad, or an accompaniment for all your BBQ meals.
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced; plus, ¼ cup chopped fennel fronds
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint
- 2 small cucumbers, thinly sliced or ½ of a large cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons Eleia Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil which you can find in our online shop
- ½ teaspoon Oregano & Sesame Sea Salt which you can find in our online shop
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the celery, fennel, cucumber, fennel fronds, and shallots, ideally with a mandolin, and place in a medium bowl.
- Toss the cut vegetables with the lemon juice, fresh mint, and EVOO. Season with salt and pepper.
If you use a mandolin, you will cut your vegetables faster and the same size.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: tossing
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: side salad, cole slaw alternative, topping for burgers
[products ids="44804, 48854, 48858"]
Available via these Amazon links:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy.
Leave a Reply