This week, put aside our jars of olives, sauces and jams, and pull out your blender to prepare a bowl of fresh homemade roasted red pepper hummus. The chickpeas, roasted red pepper, cumin, garlic, tahini, Greek yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, and some kosher salt seasoning, exquisitely pack this yummy appetizer with a flavor punch. The toasted pine nut garnish aptly gives this creamy textured hummus a fabulous crunch.
Hummus & Its History
Today’s vegetarian hummus recipe comes all the way from the popular Middle Eastern & Mediterranean cuisines. The Egyptians love to soak their beautiful pita bread in this soft creamy hummus. Contrarily, the Palestinians prefer to relish this hummus as a topping on toasted bread. Moroccan people relish it as chickpea soup.
Hummus is not only enjoyed differently but also prepared in diverse ways. Some folks use butter instead of olive oil while some add eggplants, cheese, eggs or tomatoes to their unique recipe. This roasted red pepper hummus recipe’s highlight is the bold flavor and color coming from the roasted red pepper.
Why make Hummus?
Personally speaking, my taste-buds always crave for exotic and flavorsome dips and spreads. The same old mayo, cheese dips, and pico de gallo are no longer exciting. Therefore, to excite the palate there is the need for a fresh serving of homemade dips like hummus.
We have recently developed a fondness for this roasted red pepper hummus. Thankfully, to prepare a mouth-watering batch of the silky smooth hummus, there’s hardly any chopping, whisking, or cooking involved. The food processor does all the hard work. Finally, within just 10-15 minutes an intensely deliciously dip is ready.
The sesame creamy goodness of the hummus along with the roasted red pepper and toasted nutty garnish makes it irresistible! After a big spoonful of tasting, to perfect the seasoning I let it rest in the fridge overnight. All the flavors enhance and pop up so beautifully that anyone would become a fan of this creamy hummus.
Hummus is extremely delectable and super easy & quick to make. Along with these 2 reasons, hummus is so widely popular because it can be enjoyed in countless ways! Furthermore, the ingredients used in this vegetarian recipe make it a super healthy dip. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Hummus Ingredients: A Healthy Take
Roasted red pepper hummus includes a handful of healthy ingredients namely- chickpeas, roasted red pepper, garlic, tahini (sesame paste), Greek yogurt, parsley, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil, and kosher salt.
Each of the ingredients is packed with vitamins, minerals, proteins, and health beneficial elements. Furthermore, this vegetarian recipe doesn’t require any frying or baking which sustains the ingredient’s healthy components which are often lost or minimized due to cooking!
Chickpeas, for instance, are loaded with protein. It not only aids digestion but also safeguards from various chronic diseases.
Red peppers are low in calorie content and are excellent antioxidants. Loaded with multiple medicinal properties, garlic consumption helps maintain good heart health. The highly fibrous sesame seeds are a yummy way to keep bones strong. Greek yogurt has an immense quantity of probiotics.
Parsley, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and pine nuts are also superb for the health in diverse ways.
Hummus Goes Well With?
The best part about this roasted red pepper hummus is that you can mix and match it in innumerable ways.
- Sandwich: Spread a generous portion of the hummus on your white or wheat bread. Top it with some lettuce leaves and two tomato slices. Your lip-smacking sandwich breakfast is ready.
- Rolls/Wraps: Wrap up a zesty brunch or lunch by filling a thin flatbread with some freshly chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro, a scrambled egg, and 2 big scoops of hummus.
- Pizza: Switch your homemade pizza’s usual tomato spread with this roasted red pepper hummus! Cherish watching your friends get blown away by the tasty surprise.
- Salad: Heighten your daily salad’s health & taste quotient by tossing them up with this flavorful hummus.
- Pasta: Treating colleagues with pasta for a potluck? Prepare it with the flavorsome hummus and watch your pasta vanish in minutes.
- Grilled fish/chicken/meat: Hummus is a luscious dip that goes really well with diverse grilled cuisines.
- Soups: Zing up the bland watery soups with a tablespoon of hummus and slurp away happily.
Hummus makes a yummy appetizer. This quick and effortless recipe helps prepare a thick velvety aromatic dip or spread to compliment any type of fries, grilled dishes, salads, sandwiches or even soups. Prepare this roasted red pepper hummus and jazz up your breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack delightfully!Print
I adapted this recipe from the recipe The Best Hummus Ever. I made a couple of changes with the garnishes and I added the Roasted Red Pepper. The sweet pepper gives another dimension of flavor and a crunchy nutty taste from the pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 Roasted Red Pepper or you can use a store bought – Add more if you want a deeper flavor of the pepper.
- 1 teaSpoon kosher salt – adjust as need it
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 6 TableSpoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)- I always add more if I want more acidity.
- 2 TableSpoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
- 2 TableSpoons Olive Oil- you can add more if is need it.
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaSpoons Cumin
- 2 TableSpoons plain Greek YogurtOptional as a garnish
- sprinkle some toasted pine nuts
- Julianne some Roasted pepper
- drizzle olive oil
- In the food processor add all the ingredients until become smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning until you are satisfied
- Special Note: It’s very important to leave the hummus overnight to mix and concentrate the flavors.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean