This year in celebration of the Cinco de Mayo holiday, we are sharing our best Mexican food recipes including some TexMex recipes. If you don’t know what Cinco de Mayo is, it translates to “fifth of May,” which is a Mexican holiday to commemorate the Mexican Army’s surprising victory over the French army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Contrary to popular belief, it is not Mexico’s Independence Day.
Typical Mexican Food Ingredients
Mexican cuisine is known for its bold and vibrant flavors, as well as its diverse use of ingredients. Some common elements of Mexican food include:
- Tortillas: A staple in Mexican cuisine, tortillas can be made from corn or flour and are used in a variety of dishes, such as tacos, enchiladas, and burritos.
- Beans: Black, pinto, and refried beans are commonly used in Mexican food. They can be served as a side dish or used as a filling in burritos and tacos.
- Chilies: Mexican cuisine is known for its use of chilies, including jalapeño, serrano, and poblano, which can add heat and flavor to dishes.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are commonly used in many Mexican dishes, such as salsa, guacamole, and pico de gallo.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a herb that is used to add flavor and freshness to dishes.
- Lime: Lime is often used in Mexican cuisine to add acidity and brightness to dishes. It is commonly used in dishes such as ceviche and guacamole, and don't forget margaritas!
- Avocado: Avocado is a key ingredient in guacamole, a popular Mexican dish. It is also used in other dishes such as salads and tacos.
- Cheese: Cheese is commonly used in Mexican cuisine, with varieties such as queso fresco, cotija, and Oaxaca being popular choices.
- Meat: Beef, chicken, and pork are found in dishes such as carne asada, tacos al pastor, and carnitas.
- Rice: Rice is often served as a side dish in Mexican cuisine and can be flavored with ingredients such as tomatoes and cilantro.
Mexican Food Recipes Spoonabilities-style
Mexican Lasagna with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
This Mexican Lasagna recipe is meaty, cheesy, spicy, and easy to make for Cinco De Mayo or any Mexican themed party. Roasted Red Pepper Salsa along with Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Dip are the secret ingredients for this delicious crowd pleaser.
Guacamole with Charred Corn & Bacon
Learn how to make the best guacamole recipe, how to keep guacamole from turning brown, and how to pick the perfect avocado. This Mexican food recipe is easy & quick to make using ingredients like ripe avocado, lime, cilantro, jalapeño, ground coriander, ground cumin, sea salt, bacon, charred corn and cotija cheese.
Hatch Green Chile Soup with Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp
A delicious, fresh, spicy and creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup is the perfect addition to your spring or summer menu. This soup has fresh summer corn, coconut milk, cilantro lime grilled shrimp, and we added some additional flavors.
Pork Carnitas with Roasted Pineapple Habanero Sauce
Pork Carnitas slowly cooked in Roasted Pineapple Habanero Sauce until tender. Use as a filling for all your Mexican food recipes including tacos, burritos, tortas and tamales. Pork Carnitas is perfect for a Mexican themed dinner or easy taco night at home. Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. Great and fun alternative to hamburgers.
Fiesta Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Fiesta Roasted Red Pepper Dip is one of our favorite easy 1-2-3 five minute Mexican food recipes.
Made with roasted red pepper salsa, cheese and spices, this quick and easy appetizer can be made ahead for any weekend party, football tailgate or house party.
Instant Pot Short Rib Tacos with Tropical Tequila Sauce
Who’s up for some hearty Instant Pot Short Rib Tacos? With a crisp and refreshing slaw and a thrilling tequila sauce, you’ve got yourself quite a meal. It gets better: we’re letting the pressure cooker do all the hard work to make one of these Mexican food recipes!
Southwestern Chicken Wraps
Southwestern Chicken Wraps is a Mexican-American recipe made with pesto rosso, which is also great for bruschetta, for a fast and easy lunch. You can make this in under 30 minutes.
10-Minute Easy Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Black Bean Soup made in 10 minutes with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa and only 5 other ingredients. This soup is vegan, vegetarian & full of flavor. Easy 1-2-3 Mexican food recipe.
Southwest Veggie Quesadillas with Cherry Tomato-Avocado Salsa
Veggie Quesadillas are packed with Mexican southwest flavors. These vegetarian quesadillas are stuffed with seasoned skillet-charred corn & zucchini, black beans and Monterrey jack cheese. Then top with scallions, cilantro, and Cherry Tomato-Avocado Salsa, or any of your favorite Mexican food garnishes.
Skirt Steak Tacos Recipe | Carne Asada Tacos
Juicy and tender grilled Skirt Steak Tacos, also known as carne asada tacos, is the best taco recipe ever. Topped with avocado, cilantro, queso fresco, & sour cream, the skirt steak is marinated in jalapeño, lime, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper, and olive oil. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, Taco Tuesdays, or any day of the year.
Easy BBQ Short Ribs with Smoky Orange BBQ Sauce
Mouth watering, fall-off-the-bone BBQ Short Ribs. They become sweet, smokey & tender after been braised for hours in Spicy BBQ Sauce, Belgium beer, and other spices. This barbecue recipe is the best comfort food to enjoy with friends during the summer.
15-minute Air Fryer Salmon Tacos
Tacos are fantastic all-year-round. They’re easy to put together, pleasing, colorful, and satisfying. Tacos are the best quick lunch, light dinner, and midnight crave-quenchers. These 15-minute air fryer salmon tacos with spicy chipotle sauce are a great example of that, and they’re just fabulous! Come on in and see how they’re done.
Thank you for celebrating Cinco de Mayo with us. We hope you get a chance to get out and celebrate with family and friends, and make some of these Mexican food recipes. If you need some time to prepare, why not pin this recipe for later.
And if you like this kind of content, let us know! Also check out our other seasonal and holiday recipes section.
Carlos & Geoffrey
Your Recipe Concierges