Hello My Friends,
We’re still in a Pumpkin Season Celebration and I have some yummy and delicious recipes for you. When I was looking for recipes to incorporate our Pumpkin Spice Syrup, I found a Pumpkin Magic Cake Recipe from the blogger Foodness Gracious. Honestly, this was my first time that I heard about “Magic Cake.” This cake is also recognized as “custard cake.”
As usual, I took this recipe as a base, and then I added some of my favorite spices like cardamom and clove, as well as some of my household flavors like coconut milk and almond flour.
I didn’t know what to expect from this cake because this was my first time trying this recipe. The flavor and texture is a mix of custard and pumpkin pie but with the crust. The addition of the coconut milk gave creaminess and a subtle coconut flavor, which match perfectly with the pumpkin puree.
If you are looking to bring a new recipe to your next Thanksgiving dinner or holiday party this Fall, this is a great option. This recipe is moist and sweet and not too sweet. Pumpkin Magic Cake reminds me a lot of a Dominican dessert called Pan De Batata or sweet potato cake.
I discovered that there are many topping variations for this Magic Cake. Some people top with whipped cream, frosting or icing. I went for the icing using our Pumpkin Spice Syrup, some powdered sugar, milk and a pinch of cardamom. This icing will be great with muffins and cupcakes. In fact, I have a little icing leftover so I will find something to put it on!
I hope you will try this super delicious dessert. If you do, leave a comment below with your feedback.
UPDATE – This recipe is part of our special compilation of “8 Sweet Pumpkin Spice Recipes you are going to want to make.” If you love pumpkin spice like we do. Check it out.
Pumpkin Magic Cake with Pumpkin Spice Syrup Icing
Pumpkin Magic Cake, or custard cake, with Pumpkin Spice Syrup Icing. This is an easy recipe for a moist and soft cake. Great alternative dessert for Thanksgiving Dinner.
- For the Cake:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaSpoons vanilla extract
- 1 cups milk
- 1/2 cup coconut Milk
- 1 cup pumpkin, canned
- 2½ TableSpoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaSpoon cardamom
- 1 teaSpoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaSpoon ground clove
- 2 egg whitesFor The Glaze Topping
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted.
- 3 TableSpoons Spiced Pumpkin syrup
- 3 TableSpoons milk
- 1 pinch Cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Butter an 8 x 8 cake pan and line with parchment paper, set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and powdered sugar until pale and light, about 6 minutes.
- Add the melted butter and combine.
- Add the flour and mix until there are not any lumps.
- Beat in the coconut milk, milk and vanilla.
- Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, clove and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl whip the two egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the egg whites, whisking gently until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Set the pan on a baking tray and bake for about 50 minutes. The top will still be a little jiggly but will set upon cooling.
- Cool before slicing into small squares and drizzling with the Pumpkin Spice Syrup Glaze.For The Glaze Topping
- Whisk all the ingredients until has a glaze consistency. Add more syrup if need it.NOTES:The cake will slice better after being in the refrigerator. It is also best served at room temperature.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16.3 g
Saturated Fat 9.7 g
Cholesterol 50.3 mg
Sodium 24.8 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33.1 g
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
Sugars 18.8 g
Protein 4.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Products and displays used in this recipe:
Disclaimer: Links that open in another site, i.e. Amazon, may be affiliate links where at no additional cost to you, we may receive a small commission should you decide to purchase the item. Read our Disclosure Policy.